Thursday 3 August 2017

A Tribute to Prince Philip

Odd TV snippets whet my muse
The BBC has startling news
I'm half-awake – did I hear right?
Prince Philip – journalists' delight -

Is scaling back his public role;
At 96* – I find that droll!
Faithful consort of the Queen
Since '47, they're a team.

While most retire at sixty-five
The Royals, no time off, still strive
To show they're made of sterner stuff
But at over ninety, that's enough!

Scrutinized with eager eye
Slight indiscretions blown sky high
Scandal papers make a mint;
He can't react or give a hint

Of what he's feeling deep inside;
He protects the Monarchy with pride
So I take my hat off to the Duke
Who this week took his last salute!

(c) Poet in the woods 2017

* Born 21st April 1921, he is now 99!



No comments:

Post a Comment